Chicken Crescent Roll Casserole
About This Recipe
"This will also work great with turkey, if you do not have chicken breasts then use any leftover cooked chicken --- If desired you can fill the crescents just with the filling mixture and omit the soup, just brush with butter before baking, they are wonderful just stuffed with the filling! A few members have experienced a soggy bottom, so you might want to consider just drizzling half (or even a little less) of the soup mixture on top and a little around the sides of the crescents, then save the rest of the soup mixture for another time, this will help prevent a soggy bottom --- you may use the jumbo crescent rolls and stuff with more chicken mixture "
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese of choice) or 3/4 cup swiss cheese ( or any cheese of choice)
- 1/2 cup 18% table cream ( or use whipping cream)
- 4 ounces cream cheese ( very soft)
- 4 tablespoons butter ( very soft but not melted)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup onions, finely chopped ( can use green onions)
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped ( or use about 2 cups, can use cooked turkey)
- 1/2-3/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt ( or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper ( or to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 -4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 -2 cup grated cheddar cheese ( for topping)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Butter a casserole dish (any size to hold crescent rolls).
- In a saucepan, mix half and half cream, 3/4 cup grated cheese (can use more cheese if desired) and undiluted chicken soup (can season with black pepper if desired).
- Heat just until the cheese melts (do not boil).
- For the filling --- (make certain that the cream cheese and butter are very soft) in a bowl, mix the soft cream cheese with butter until very smooth, then add in garlic powder (if using).
- Add in the chopped chicken, onion and cheddar cheese; mix well until combined.
- Add in 2 tablespoons whipping cream or mayonnaise; mix to combine (add in a little more if the mixture seems too dry).
- Season with seasoned salt or white and black pepper to taste.
- Unroll the crescent rolls.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon chicken mixture (or a little more) on top of each crescent triangle, then roll up starting at the thicker end.
- Drizzle a small amount of soup mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Then place the crescent rolls seam-side down on top of the creamed mixture in the casserole.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce on top (you don't have to use the full amount of cream sauce, just use as much as desired) and sprinkle with 1 cup (or more) grated cheese, or amount desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.